MARKET INTEL |
PRIME GRANT

Cooperative - NA22NOS4690221

OVERVIEW

Original Description
THE UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND IS PILOTING THE CENTER OF EXCELLENCE FOR INTEGRATED PLASTICS RESEARCH/URI LAND TO SEA PLASTICS COLAB TO ADDRESS THE GLOBAL PLASTICS CRISIS, REDUCE US RELIANCE ON FOREIGN PLASTICS PRODUCERS AND RECYCLERS, AND MOVE OUR NATION TOWARDS AN ERA OF PLASTICS NEUTRALITY AND NOVEL ALTERNATIVE MATERIALS. ALL STUDIED ECOSYSTEMS ON EARTH CONTAIN PLASTICS POLLUTION. A LANDMARK STUDY BY JAMBECK ET AL. (2015)1 ESTIMATED THAT 8 MILLION METRIC TONS OF PLASTICS WASTE ENTERED THE OCEANS FROM LAND INPUTS DURING THE YEAR 2010 ALONE. A NEW 2020 STUDY BY BORRELLE ET AL. 2 UPDATED THE ANNUAL EMISSIONS OF PLASTICS INTO OCEANS AND FRESH WATERS TO 24 MILLION METRIC TONS, PROJECTING 53 MILLION BY YEAR 2030. BOTTLES, PACKAGING AND IMPROPERLY DISPOSED OF WASTE FROM LAND-BASED SOURCES COMPRISE 80% OF MARINE DEBRIS. THE REMAINING 20% COMES FROM PLASTICS RELEASED AT SEA FROM FISHING ACTIVITIES AND OCEAN VESSELS. 94% OF THE OVERALL PLASTICS POLLUTION THAT ENTERS THE OCEAN ENDS UP ON THE SE
Assistance Type
Cooperative Agreement (B)
Place of Performance
Kingston, Rhode Island 02881-1974 USA
Related Opportunity
None

STATUS

Period of Performance

9/1/22

Start Date

8/31/24

End Date
4.0% Complete

Funding Split

$1.0M

Federal Obligation

$0.0

Non-Federal Obligation

$1.0M

Total Obligated
100.0% Federal Funding
0.0% Non-Federal Funding

ACTIVITY TIMELINE

SUBGRANT AWARDS

TRANSACTION HISTORY

ADDITIONAL DETAIL

Award ID FAIN
NA22NOS4690221
SAI Number
NA22NOS4690221_000
Award ID URI
SAI EXEMPT
Awardee Classifications
Public/State Controlled Institution Of Higher Education
Awarding Office
1305N2 DEPT OF COMMERCE NOAA
Funding Office
1333BM DEPT OF COMMERCE NOAA
Last Modified: 9/21/22